Happy almost 4th of July! I am getting ready for all of the 4th festivities, and wanted to share a couple [healthy-ish] Red, White and Blue snacks that I will be bringing to parties.
Let’s talk dessert first! I saw these cute cupcakes from Shaken Together and wanted to make a somewhat healthier version of the dessert.
I really like to hide vegetables in other dishes-you get your veggies in and you barely notice the taste! I used beets to make a red velvet cupcake, and honestly you cannot taste the beets. Beets just make the cupcakes super moist! For the cupcake, I modified a recipe from Clean Eating with a Dirty Mind. I made up the frosting on my own since I wanted something light and sweet. Add a blueberry on top and you have red, white and blue!
Red Velvet and Vanilla Frosting “Red White and Blue” cupcakes:
For the Cupcakes (recipe modified from Clean Eating with a Dirty Mind) :
6 medium sized cooked beets (I used one package of the Trader Joe’s cooked beets)
1/2 cup of vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
1/2 cup of Coconut Butter (I simply ground up unsweetened coconut flakes in a food processor, and you get coconut “butter”)
1 cup of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (**warning-if you want really “red” cupcakes, I would use less than that. My cupcakes came out a dark brown/red)
1/2 cup of Raw Honey and 1/4 cup of Agave
3/4 cup of Almond Flour
3/4 cup of Coconut Flour
1/2 cup of Canned Coconut Milk (I used the lite version and it worked fine)
1/2 cup of Unsweetened Apple Sauce
2 Tbs. of Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tsp. of Baking Powder
1 tsp. of Baking Soda
Pinch of salt
1. Put beets in a food processor and let it run until they are pureed. Combine other wet ingredients into the processor as well until everything is mixed together. Gradually add in the dry ingredients and mix together.
2. Line cupcake tin with cupcake liners (I would not recommend spraying the cupcake tin and not using liners. These are heavy cupcakes and somewhat difficult to get out of the tin without liners)
3. Fill the liners with batter. Feel free to fill them fairly high since the cupcakes do not rise too much.
4. Cook for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees F or until a toothpick comes out clean.
For the icing:
1/2 cup vegan butter
1/3 cup of coconut milk (I used lite but full fat should work as well)
1/8 cup of raw honey
1/8 cup of agave
2 tablespoons of coconut butter (see above)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons coconut flour
pinch sea salt
1. Put all ingredients in a food processor and mix until fluffy. Feel free to use less of the honey/agave if you do not like things sweet.
On to the appetizer!
So this might be more of a “Red, White and Purple” recipe…but it was as close as I could get :) I used purple potatoes and paired them with beet hummus and regular hummus for a fun and healthy appetizer. Check out the health benefits of purple potatoes here. As you can tell by these two recipes, I am loving beets right now.
Recipe for the Purple Potato Chips:
Purple potatoes (as many as you need given your party size)
Salt and Pepper
1. I sliced mine very thin, feel free to make them a little thicker/thinner based on your preferences.
2. Soak the slices in water for 15 minutes.
3. Dry the slices well-either leave them out on a paper towel for some time or dry them by hand with a paper towel.
4. Put some olive oil/salt/pepper to your taste in a bowl. Place slices in the bowl and coat them in the olive oil.
5. Bake on a cookie sheet in the oven at 425 degrees F for about 12-15 minutes. Keep on eye on these, some may cook more quickly than others.
Beet Hummus Recipe:
1 package of Honey Ginger “Love Beets“-any variety of cooked beets works, I just happen to like these. There are about 9 beets/package
1 can of cooked chickpeas
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of Tahini (I used a bit more than this because I LOVE tahini)
Salt and Pepper to your taste
Juice from 1 lemon (don’t over squeeze here, you just want a little bit of lemon juice)
1. Mix everything in a food processor until smooth
I then mixed in a bit of normal hummus to get my “white” and enjoyed with the potato chips!
What are you doing for the 4th? What treats are you bringing to parties?